Are you our next Group Exercise Instructor?
Do you have a passion and desire to help others live an active
lifestyle? Do you genuinely care about connecting with others and
being part of a team? If so, Town Sports International is looking
for Group Exercise Instructors to join our growing team. The Group
Exercise Instructor teaches group classes that are safe, effective,
fun, and motivating for members and guests.
Who are we?
Town Sports International is the largest gym chain in the
Northeast region with more than 180 locations spanning numerous
markets including locations in California, Florida and Puerto Rico.
We operate under our local brands of New York Sports Clubs, Boston
Sports Clubs, Washington Sports Clubs, Philadelphia Sports Clubs,
Palm Beach Sports Clubs, Around the Clock Fitness, Lucille Roberts,
Total Woman Gym + Spa, and LIV Fitness.
What do we do?
We are in the business of fitness results, positive change and
personal connections. We achieve this through innovative
programming, the latest equipment and a knowledgeable staff. More
than this, we work with our members to provide a personalized
roadmap to achieve specific fitness goals.
You will thrive in this role if you:
- Genuinely enjoys engaging and connecting with members to help
them achieve their goals
- Recognize that success is a team effort.
- Have impeccable time management and organizational skills.
- Handle member concerns and feedback in a timely, positive and
- Model integrity, collaboration and a can-do attitude.
More about this role:
The Group Exercise Instructor position contributes to TSI's
success by promoting the club and company, introducing members to
the joys of group exercise classes and maintaining a positive
experience for increased member retention. As the "Ambassador of
TSI's Brand Experience," the Group Exercise Instructor is required
to model and promote TSI's Mission and Fitness Vision through
proper appearance and by engaging our members in fun, inspiring,
effective and safe classes that will enhance their member
experience. Group Exercise Instructors report to both the Group
Exercise Team Leader and the management teams at the clubs where
they teach. The Group Exercise Instructor role achieves success
through embodying our core competencies (Create a TSI Environment,
Build a High Performing Team, Achieve Measurable Results).
Create the TSI Environment
Our profession empowers members and team members to achieve
active lifestyles. Fitness has relevance through all aspects of
life. We build positive relationships and sustain the
organization's culture by interacting with the highest level of
integrity and communicating in a manner that reflects our
- Modeling and promoting our guiding principles through the
- Reviewing and adhering to all TSI documents including but not
limited to policies and procedures, employee handbook, state
supplement, codes of conduct, etc.
- Delivering group exercise classes that are motivating and
- Elevating the member experience by actively engaging with
members in the group exercise studio to enhance their fitness
- Effectively conducting inspiring classes that begin and end on
time, are effective, and safe in nature.
- Upholding the integrity of all class formats by adhering to
- Classes starting and ending on time. Should be in studio and
ready for class 10 minutes prior to the start of class.
- Ensuring studio equipment is maintained and the studio meets or
exceeds safety and functional standards.
- Communicating equipment needs to club management.
- Documenting all health risk concerns and incidents and
reporting to management.
- Ensuring all Group Exercise and CPR/AED certifications are
- Utilizing online class registration and payroll systems to
accurately record class attendance and payroll hours.
- Positively promoting class registration and other club
initiatives as communicated by the Group Exercise Team Leaders and
club management teams.
Build a High Performing Team
Inspires, motivates and develops a team to reach their fullest
potential, contributing to the ultimate success of the
organization. We constantly improve ourselves, our processes and
our procedures to provide a meaningful experience in the gym. We
are connected to our members, clients and each other.
- Maintaining positive interactions with team members, members,
- Learning team member roles and acknowledging a job well
- Communicating effectively with management.
- Reporting any repairs or supplies needed.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Achieve Measurable Results
Successfully and consistently exceeds goals that drive the
member, employee and business categories of the organization;
actions reflect a dedication to surpassing the expectations of both
members and employees.
- Encouraging members to register online for classes.
- Promoting personal training programs.
- Asking members to bring a friend to class in an effort to drive
new guests and business into the club.
- Asking managers to observe your class for feedback.
Required Skills and Experience
- The ability to motivate others to lead a healthy lifestyle.
Public speaking capabilities, patience, general knowledge of
exercise science and safe fitness practices.
- Ability to proficiently use our POS and membership system,
timekeeping any other computer programs required to meet the
business needs of the customer and TSI.
- TSI approved certification for any class being taught. (Please
refer to the Group Exercise Performance and Pay Policy for an
- Child & Adult AED/CPR certified.
- Physical demands include ability to lift up to 20 pounds with
or without reasonable accommodations, walk through all areas of the
club, climbing stairs (where applicable), and bending and lifting
(e.g. picking up towels, restacking weights, moving equipment as
needed). The company reserves the right to change them as business
needs require and that jobs may require other tasks as assigned to
the employee by the company.