Medical Assistant, Gastroenterology
Company: Lahey Medical Center Peabody
Posted on: November 19, 2023
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a
job, you're making a difference in people's lives.
Day (United States of America)
Medical Assistant I - $1,500 Sign on Bonus! Come to Work with A
Smile! Like your Co-Workers. Generous Compensation, Paid Time Off.
Career Growth and Professional Ladders.
Under the general supervision of the designated supervisor
(depending on the location) and in collaboration with a clinical
overseer, where applicable, the Medical Assistant is responsible
for assisting in the delivery of high quality and safe clinical
care. S/he will assist with patient care and operational flow by
performing clerical and clinical duties as needed within the scope
of their training and applicable to the kind of practice and
The MA I will organize work to enhance patient satisfaction and
provider efficiency. S/he will collaborate with providers for daily
needs/schedule coordination, by reviewing provider schedule and
anticipating patient, provider and appointment needs at the time of
the patient visit, keep visits running on time, communicate delays
with patients, manage same-day schedule additions, ensure exam
rooms are properly supplied and provide support for patient forms
completion. The MA I is responsible for following and sustaining
all workflows, standard work, policies, and procedures.
The performance of the Medical Assistant I in the delivery of
empathetic and efficient care and service will have a direct impact
on our overall patient satisfaction. The Medical Assistant works in
collaboration with the physician(s), other health care provider(s),
and other ambulatory support staff within the department and with
other disciplines to deliver patient care.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Clinical Considerations and Decision Making: Ways in which the MA
comes to understand the problems, issues or concerns of
patients/families, to attend to relevant/critical information and
to respond in concerned and involved ways.
Accountable for providing safe patient care by demonstrating
organizational skills that maintain and coordinate safe delivery of
quality care for assigned patients/families.
Participates in a culturally competent plan of care that identifies
patient problems, expected outcomes, and addresses preventative
Delivers care that is specific to the age of the patient
Cares for patients as delegated by the provider, RN or LPN within
scope of practice and competence.
Contributes information provided by the patient or family for the
assessment of health status
Evaluates outcomes of interventions within their scope and follows
directions on a modified plan of care
II. Collaborative Relationship: Collaborates, cooperates, and
communicates with other health care personnel to ensure quality and
continuity of care.
A. Establishes collaborative relationships with nurses, physicians,
other colleagues, patients and families.
B. Participates in and supports the educational plan for patient
III. Clinical Guidance: The MA, within the scope of his/her
practice and department specific skills, is responsible for the
nature and quality of care they provide for patients.
Demonstrates appropriate behavior by adhering to unit policies and
procedures and practice guidelines specific to the setting.
Demonstrates the ability to provide and maintain patient safety in
the environment of care
Demonstrates skills as a responsive and supportive team member.
Demonstrates ability to fulfill role in regulatory compliance and
Clinical/Direct patient care (The procedures performed may vary
from practice to practice based on specialties, department's
staffing model and/or patient population.)
- Greets, identifies, transports and/or escorts patients to exam
- Accurately obtains all elements of the MA rooming standards.
Documents data in Electronic Health Record (EHR.) Reports findings
as needed to provider. Using the Pended Order workflow, pends
orders as needed for provider signature.
- Prepares patient for examination:
- Asks patient for and documents chief complaint, symptoms, and
duration of symptoms in EHR
- Obtains history and reviews medication list. Asks patient if
they need any medication refills and queues refills in EHR.
- Documents all drug and other allergies
- Documents smoking history
- Takes vital signs (Height, Weight, Blood Pressure, Pulse,
- Observes patient, documents and reports findings to provider.
- Alerts the provider when patient is ready and communicates
pertinent clinical information
- Notifies provider of an abnormal vital signs, elevated pain
scores or safety concerns.
- Assists the provider with the patient visit and care as
- Prepares special equipment, instruments and supplies as
- Provides instructions to patient regarding any diagnostic test
and procedure after they have been educated by the provider.
- Prepares and labels specimens obtained by the MA or the
provider for transport based on the Labeling Policy. Tests
specimens as necessary and according to proper procedure. Specimens
may include, but not limited to:
- Blood (phlebotomy)
- Clean-voided urine
- Finger stick blood sugar tests
- Stool for occult blood
- Rapid strep testing
- UCGs (pregnancy tests)
- Urine for microalbumin
- Glycohemoglobin A1C
- Assists with throat cultures, PAP smears, wound cultures,
biopsies, and joint injections
- Performs electrocardiograms, spirometries, monofilament
testing, vision and hearing testing according to departmental
- Assists with wound care
- Assists with other testing, in accordance with medical
- Assists provider with minor procedures
- Documents testing/results per practice protocol
- Administers immunizations based on written provider orders (as
allowed by the practice license.)
- Administers injections based on written provider orders (as
allowed by the practice license.)
- Follows department procedures related to access to
non-controlled medications, such as IV solutions and vaccines, when
granted access to these medications as part of the job
- Performs Phlebotomy procedures (back up to phlebotomist)
(drawing of blood, spinning of bloods)
- Clinical and Quality/Improvement Competency
- Meets expectations and maintains competencies of new hire
orientation skills checklist, annual competency verification and
participates in education programs provided.
- Is alert to Quality Improvement and CQI issues as well as to
unsafe working conditions. Notifies manager of concerns.
Participates in unit based QI activities and is familiar with unit
measurement data. Non-Clinical/Indirect patient care
- Pre-visit planning
- Organizes and prioritizes daily work to ensure patient needs
are met and provider schedules run efficiently.
- Participates in huddles to anticipate, understand and address
the daily needs of our patients and providers to ensure proper
- Reviews patient records against quality measures and best
practice indicators and advises providers of potential
documentation and care gaps
- Prepares supportive documentation for scheduled
- Reviews record for completeness before appointment and update
- Inserts the required forms per procedure and department
- Follows up with patient or specialist to ensure patient care
plans since last appointment were followed and results are
available for physician review
- Confirms that lab and other ancillary tests are performed and
- Post visit work
- Enters charges and reviews patient record for billing accuracy
performing quality checks on ICD-10 and CPT codes and other related
information in order to streamline the billing process per practice
- Assists the providers with work outside the visit related to
managing a panel of patients.
- Partners with patient and family in supporting patients' short-
and long-term goals.
- Supports care coordination for identified patients across the
continuum in collaboration with provider and community
- Performs designated tasks related to tracking test results and
may communicate normal lab and imaging test results, either written
or verbally as directed by provider.
- Provides and reviews instructions to patient regarding any
diagnostic test and procedures. Provides patient with written
education materials and diagnostic prep as needed.
- Serves as a liaison with patients, families to physicians, case
managers, 3rd party payers, et al.
- Reviews, manages and enters registry health data for identified
- Monitors patient progress by utilization of disease specific
registries to proactively reach out to patients to meet their
health care goals.
- Assists in the maintenance of the EMR
- Scans miscellaneous loose reports into the EMR
- Ensures exam rooms . click apply for full job details
Keywords: Lahey Medical Center Peabody, Peabody , Medical Assistant, Gastroenterology, Healthcare , Peabody, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!